Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Evaluation and relationships - working together by sharing the right message

I'm seeing a trend in my choices of which sessions to attend at ICE this year. Apparently it's all about evaluation for me. I think I've seen everything the Kirkpatricks have had to say so far, I spent this morning learning more about the do's and don'ts of Level 1's, and now I'm sitting in the front row waiting to hear part 2 of Jim and Patti Kirkpatrick's presentation on the new world of their 4 Levels - ROE - Return on Expectations. I'm finding the further I move into my organization managing expectations, or helping others identify or realize their own expectations of me and my work, is more and more critical.

Along those lines, I attended a session yesterday with Rob VeVerka where we focused on building relationships with senior leaders and how important it is to craft messages, and expectations, to match their business needs rather than expecting them to know or care how we think and operate. That's an important message for me because in my former life everyone I spoke to came from the same place - all education all the time. We all shared the same language, we all came up through the same ranks and had similar experiences we could all share. It made relating to even senior leaders so much easier. But now, as I try to plug my education and learning background into a business environment I find it so much more difficult to communicate, to get them to care about what I care about.

So I attend these sessions learning how to craft my message, and gather the right kinds of data by asking the right kinds of questions so I can share the right kids of information with the right kinds of leaders. It all makes sense now that I see the connections. I don't think I'd have been able to make that connection, as quickly at least, without attending this conference. I love it when I can point to THAT thing that makes the expenditure of time and money seem so worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment